This afternoon, President Trump signed the FY18 omnibus appropriations bill that provides big wins and great opportunities for the Southern Rail Commission and for the return of Amtrak's Gulf Coast service.
Thank you Senator Thad Cochran, Appropriations Committee Chair and Senator Roger Wicker of the Commerce Committee - as well as the Congressional delegations from Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
The final bill represents the largest single year increase for the full Amtrak budget as well as the national system. It includes the following funding:
- CRISI (Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements): $592,547,000 including $35,547,000 set aside to restore lost passenger rail service just like our Gulf Coast route.
- This represents an increase of over $68 million from FY17
- $250 million for PTC (Positive Train Control)
- Positive SRC report language
- REG (Restoration and Enhancement Grants): $20 million which provides operating support for new passenger rail service
- This represents an increase from $5 million in FY17
- National Network (includes the Crescent and City of New Orleans that serve our states)- $1.292 billion
- $50m for PTC
- Increase over FY17 level of $1.1b
Now is the time to capitalize on these opportunities!
Click here to read the SRC's full release.