Gulf Coast Stakeholder Update Meetings
April 11-13, 2017, the SRC and Amtrak are hosting meetings in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana to update stakeholders on progress made since they operated an inspection train tour across the Gulf Coast route in Feb. 2016 and to share the next steps necessary to bring new Amtrak service to reality.
Meetings will be held in Jacksonville, Live Oak and Marianna, Fla.; Mobile, Ala.; Gulfport, Miss.; and New Orleans.
Jacksonville, 9:30 a.m., North Florida Transportation Planning Organization; 980 N. Jefferson St.
Live Oak, 1:30 p.m.; 208 N. Ohio Ave.
Marianna, 10 a.m., 2875 Caledonia St. Alabama:
Mobile, 4 p.m., Government Plaza, Multi- Purpose Room; 205 Government St.
Gulfport, 10 a.m., City Hall,
2309 15th St.
New Orleans, 2:30 p.m. Regional Planning Commission, 10 Veterans Blvd.
All times local.
- FRA Gulf Coast Working Group Report
- SRC/ FRA Station Improvement-Rail Safety Grant Program
- Amtrak’s position on the Gulf Coast Project:
- Amtrak CEO Wick Moorman letter to the Southern Rail Commission
- Budget proposal and what it means for service restoration for the Gulf States
- Local leadership support - GCPR & Amtrak’s Long Distance network
- Next Steps:
- Grass roots campaign to build support at all levels: Federal, state & local (LA, MS, AL & FL)
- Continue working with host railroad(s) on the capital numbers and necessary agreements
- Expanding the political support and securing the finances necessary to initiate service
- Securing the operating agreement(s) in order to establish a start date
- Questions & Answers
The town of Live Oak, Florida presented testimonies in support of passenger rail service to their community.